Contact Me!

Want to contribute? You can contact me at rocksaredumb@gmail.com

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Soap, Everest, and The Gospel

Several years ago I saw Rob Bell speak live. Although Rob Bell has since gone off some sort of deep end, at the time he said something that made sense to me. He gave everyone a bar of soap and started talking about how a carving is already inside, you just have to remove all the extra pieces. That is what God is doing with us. I appreciate the thought and I do believe that God is always working on my sanctification, slowly working my heart.

This illustration was however flipped around in my mind today. I imagine that if the Gospel were a pebble, then we have added stones of law and false teachings to it to the extent that Everest is now dwarfed in its presence.

It is now the unfortunate task of dedicated clergy to chip away at the mountain, reminding their flock weekly, daily, hourly, moment by moment of the one true gospel. I am fortunate enough to have such a pastor. He dedicates himself weekly to preaching the truth of the gospel, the only gospel, the one that saves.

I am currently writing a post about "Plan B" that I will be posting tomorrow.

Galatians 1:6-9

No Other Gospel

6 I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— 7 not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.


No comments: